Home Forums Support Unity 3D WebPlayer Support

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

I’m very interested in using your library for a game project I am working on in Unity.
    I have the client-server functionality working as desired for the standalone .exe builds.
    My problem arises when I try to build a Unity WebPlayer release. The WebPlayer build only allows a subset of the .Net framework and throws the following exception:

“ArgumentException: The Assembly System.Configuration is referenced by NetworkCommsDotNetComplete. But the dll is not allowed to be included or could not be found.”.

I was just wondering if there will be future release that is compatible with Unity’s WebPlayer?

Thanks,
    Chris

Anonymous
    Inactive

Heya Chris,

Many kind thanks for your interest in our library and welcome to our forums. We have never looked at supporting the web player before. We will investigate to see what might be involved and post back at some future point. Unfortunately I would be unable to give a specific time frame at the moment.

Kind regards,
    Marc

Anonymous
    Inactive

Heya Chris,

Just having had a quick look through the source we do not actually use the namespace System.Configuration anywhere. Could you please elaborate on which DLL version you are trying to use and possibly also provide a download link for the example you are trying to build so that we can try a few quick things?

Marc

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Marc,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I noticed that myself after I downloaded the source.
    In the end I got it to work after a bit of hacking at the code.
    After removing the projects I didn’t need from the solution I rebuilt the Dlls for the 2.0 framework, which got past the System.Configuration problem.

It then threw another exception (of which I can’t remember the exact name) related to NLog.dll. As a temporary solution I removed all calls to the logger from the code.

There were no other problems after that and the networking code works perfectly in Unity’s WebPlayer.

Thanks,
    Chris

Anonymous
    Inactive

After removing the projects I didn’t need from the solution I rebuilt the Dlls for the 2.0 framework, which got past the System.Configuration problem.

Could you let me know which projects were causing problems. It would be nice to put together a DLL for the next release, built specifically for the unity web player if it’s very straight forward.

We had a similar NLog issue for windows phone platforms, so there is already an existing build flag “NO_LOGGING” which you can set to remove all logging at compile time.

Regards,
    Marc

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

A unity webplayer dll would be great if it’s easy enough to do.

I don’t remember which projects had the issue and I’m out of the office at the moment, I’ll check on Monday and get back to you.
    I do remember finding some references to System.Configuration when I searched the entire solution, I think they were part of some build files or configuration files.

I spoke too soon when I said it worked perfectly in the webplayer. It works in the editor when configured for webplayer but it needs a few more changes to work in the release browser webplayer, due to some of the security sandbox restrictions.

In TcpConnection::Connect(), after the BeginConnect call, the WaitOne function overload that includes the Boolean isn’t supported, but the one without it is.

The .Net subset the web player uses also doesn’t allow unsafe code, so I set the DataSerializer to use the windows phone and iOS code, it was throwing an expeption at the array serialization.

Also, just to be sure, I changed the protobuff dll to a unity specific protobuff dll.

Sorry if there’s some mistakes in the class names above, I’ll double check them when I get back to the computer.

Thanks,
    Chris

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d also love to see support for the Unity WebPlayer, my project ideally requires this.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Would be pretty awesome if you guys would support this.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.