Home Forums Support High memory allocation

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

I’m currently testing your product, it’s very easy to use. But I’m experiencing very high memory allocation that I first noticed in the task manager looking at peeks of 700MB usage.

It’s basically serialization LZ.BinTree.Create and LZMA.LZ.OutWindow.Create methods that allocate a lot of memory according to my profiling sessions. In my test span it allocates more than 10GB compared to no significant allocation when I switch to WCF over TCP. I’m not doing heavy work but a simple duplex communication channel. How can I disable the compression to test passing only byte arrays?

There is also a larger memory footprint than WCF. Is there tweaks?

Regards,

David

Anonymous
    Inactive

Welcome to our forums and many thanks for your interest in our network library.

As you have found most memory allocations come from the compression/decompression stages. Disabling compression is straight forward to do globally, just change NetworkComms.DefaultSendReceiveOptions:

NetworkComms.DefaultSendReceiveOptions = new SendReceiveOptions<ProtobufSerializer>();

If you only intend to used pure byte[] then you can go a step further an also disable the serialisation stages (there is a very small additional overhead to sending byte[] if the serialisation stage is enabled):

NetworkComms.DefaultSendReceiveOptions = new SendReceiveOptions<NullSerializer>();

For more info please see our tutorial on SendReceiveOptions here.

Regards,
    Marc

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for your response.

When I use the SendReceiveOptions as you mentioned I receive null references. I really to test this asap as it would be a burden to have such high memory pressure for such simple objects.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Heya David,

I will help however I can. What version are you using and can you give me a full stack trace of the null reference exception?

Regards,
    Marc

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Marc,

I meant that the PacketHandlerCallBackDelegate’s incomingObject is null. I don’t experience a NullReferenceException.

Regards,

David

Anonymous
    Inactive

Morning David,

The following would help:

1. What are you sending when you receive a null as the incoming Object?
    2. Is it reproducible?
    3. Could confirm the exact send receive options you are using.
    4. What version of networkcomms.net are you using?

Kind regards,
    Marc

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Marc,

You’re right I should have provided all that. Let me try to reproduce in a test project. I’m sending ProtoContracts and primitives. I’m using the latest version.

Regards,

David

Anonymous
    Inactive

Speaking with other developers you may be seeing a bug in v2.3.0. We fixed this in v2.3.1. I’m just putting together the download now, so it should be available within the next couple of hours.

Marc

Anonymous
    Inactive

Version 2.3.1 is now available in the download section. If you are able to reproduce the problem using 2.3.0 and moving to 2.3.1 fixes the problem please let us know.

Regards,
    Marc

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Marc,

The bug is fixed.

Using no compression stopped the high memory pressure and is now inexistant. Also, the memory footprint of simply loading the library is much lighter. The difference is very surprising.

Regards,

David

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.